The Topic of the Months (TOM) cover best practices.
TOMs are scheduled throughout the year based on the operating cycle of the business or nonprofit.
TOMs are designed as sound bite level insights. Each TOM allows the client to quick grasp the identified issues and opportunities and to have a more uniformed understanding of the topic. Understanding all of the TOMs in a particular month, allows the owners and managers of small enterprises focus on the specific issues that are most meaningful for their business.
What is the purpose of the Topic of the Month?
Running a business involves many details. Scheduled reviews can avoid many crisis.
- Without a systematic plan, the running becomes a reaction to crisis approach.
- Larger companies all have an annual system of reviewing the operating details of a company.
- Most of the time these details are reviewed the same time each year.
Cathedral has broken the operations of an enterprise into 12 segments.
- These are then scheduled in an order that matches the normal business cycle.
- The TOMs are also order so that they can build on each other.
- The result is that the client gets to anticipate matters rather than reacting to events.
TOM are educational.
- Business owners and managers are very good at their products and services.
- Therefore, TOMs give incremental training on the various activities needed to better run the business.
TOMs are compressed best practices.
- The smaller enterprises do not have the resources to develop the alternatives and then create the implementation strategy.
- Therefore, the TOM takes a topic and presents a shorten understanding and the Firm’s recommended best practices.
- This makes the exercise efficient for the entity.
March: Product Mix
April: Financial Statements
May: Management & HR
June: Cash Flow Management
August: Market Positionting
September: Strategy Planning
October: Year-End Maximization
November: Budget Process
December: Capital Structure and Year-End
January: Fundraising Calendar
February: Tax and Legal
March: Grant Writing
April: Financial Systems
May: Board of Directors
July: Major Donors
August: Individual Donors
September: Mission Strategy
November: Program Evaluation
December: Human Resources